How Successful Managers Network
According to a recent newsletter post by Anne Baber and Lynne Waymon, Co-Founders of Contacts Count, successful managers spend 70% more time networking than their less successful counterparts. What is it that these masterful networkers do that others don’t? Here are a few examples:
They build relationships with:
- Every co-worker they need to interact with to get their jobs done and enhance their working relationships.
- Vendors, suppliers, and consultants to tap them for new ideas, trends, innovations.
- Colleagues at work to stay in the loop, get early warnings, round up talent, find solutions to problems that involve several departments.
- Stakeholders to gain support for new ideas and directions and make the best decisions.
- Peers outside the organization to stay on the leading edge and ahead of the curve.
- Anyone whose job is wildly different – to gain new insights and “cross pollinate.”
What can you do to enhance relationships within and outside your organization?