In June, I wrote a blog post on asking for a raise in this economy. This morning, I read an interesting article in Execunet’s Career Smart Insider again on this topic. I am summarizing below some key points from the article:
1. Before heading to your boss’ office to ask for a raise, do your homework. That means knowing what you are worth in the market and comparing your current salary to similar positions at other companies.
2. Understand were your current salary compares to the mid-point of your salary range.
3. Know your company’s schedule for performance reviews.
4. Prepare your “success stories or accomplishments” and have proof of your results and value-add you bring to an employer.
5. Be flexible and think of other ways your firm can compensate you, in lieu of salary-time off, telecommuting schedule etc.