What is this gap in your resume?
I recently read a few article on how to handle gaps in your resume (either being laid off or staying out of the workforce by choice), especially during interviews. Here is what I learned:
- Keep your explanation brief and factual, without going into tons of details. You don’t want to give too much information and then leave the interviewer with the idea that you might be unsuitable for the job.
- Highlight the positives, and focus on your qualifications and interest in the job for which you are interviewing.
- Come up with a 2-3 line sentence/spiel to respond to the question.
- Put your emotions aside and keep the tone neutral.
- If you were laid off because of a business decision to cut expenses, you can reframe that by saying the time gave you an opportunity to rethink your career goals.